A Plastic-free healthy Mediterranean Sea: operationalizing the BLUEMED R&I Pilot Action | Venice, January 20, 2020 Back-to-back event with the Mediterranean Regional Workshop preparing the UN-Decade of Ocean Science
Following the special event at Ecomondo in November 2019, the BlueMed Pilot Action “Plastic-free for a healthy Mediterranean Sea” is again on the scene.
Mediterranean countries’ experts and stakeholders meet in Venice to continue the cross-border coordination to tackle the threat of plastic litter, stepping from exchanging and learning good practices to scale-up operational actions.
Via national hubs established at country level, progress is expected on integrating knowledge and innovation in a circular economy and green deal prospective; promoting recycling systems and technologies; supporting sustainable growth in the marine and maritime sectors; creating new “blue” jobs; inform policies; develop solutions to meet the opportunities; engaging citizens, raising their voice.
Back-to-back with the Mediterranean Regional Workshop preparing the UN-Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development 2021-2030, this BlueMed event will mark a key milestone for projecting the “plastic litter” challenge and related concrete actions in the global perspective.
- please register to the event on the BlueMed Pilot Action “Plastic-free for a healthy Mediterranean Sea” (Jan. 20th) here
- read more on the Mediterranean Regional Worshop on the Ocean Decade website and on the CNR website.
Materials and presentations:
Sesssion: Scaling up the BLUEMED Pilot for a plastic free, healthy Mediterranean Sea
- Miguel Bernal, GFCM Secretariat: GFCM contribution to a plastic-free Mediterranean Sea
- Christos Ioakeimidis, UN Environment/Mediterranean Action Plan, Barcelona Convention: Turning the tide on marine litter in the Mediterranean
- Alessandra Sensi, UfM: Scaling up the BLUEMED Pilot for a plastic-free, healthy Mediterranean Sea
Session: Do you know the BlueMed Pilot Action? Joining outreach efforts for public engagement and education
- Inès Boujmil, Badr El Mahrad, Mustafa Ghazal, Deniz Yapilcan, Fella Moualek, BlueMed: Pollution needs no VISA – The BlueMed Young Communication Ambassadors Action Plans
- Fedra Francocci, CNR-IAS, BlueMed CSA : “FATTI di plastica”, from the impacts to new solutions against marine litter
- Kalliopi Pagou, Erasmia Kastanidi, HCMR, BlueMed CSA: BlueMed e–training on Marine Litter
- Irene Hofmeijer, Karin Kubackova, EIT Climate KIC: eCircular and Journey – Join our journey to net zero through collaborative systems innovation
Session: Projecting the Pilot into new Horizons
- Rosalia Santolieri, COI & CNR-ISMAR: The Mediterranean Sea We Need for the Future We Want
- Suzan Kholeif, NIOF and EPG IOC/UNESCO: What is UN Decade of Ocean Science – and why do we need it now???